Travelling to Hampshire and getting around
Getting around Hampshire could not be easier with excellent road network, fast and frequent trains and bus services.
More travel information
- Oxford to Winchester – 1hr
- St Albans to Winchester – 1hr 20
- Bristol to Winchester – 1 hr 25
- Brighton to Winchester – 1hr 30
- Birmingham to Winchester – 2hr
South Western Railway – SWR trains operate from Bournemouth and Poole in Dorset, across Hampshire and through to London Waterloo. You can also take a nostalgic steam train between Alresford and Alton on the Mid Hants Railway (Watercress Line).
Hampshire is easy to reach from the north of the country and Scotland by air. You can fly into Southampton Airport from Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Leeds, Manchester and Newcastle?
Hampshire is well served by bus routes in both rural and urban areas.
The Portsmouth Harbour Waterbus links the four major attractions of Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, Explosion!, Royal Navy Submarine Museum and Gunwharf Quays between April and October. Red Funnel Ferries operate from Southampton to Cowes on the Isle of Wight and Wightlink from Lymington and Portsmouth to the Ryde and Yarmouth.
Travelling to Isle of Wight and getting around
You can find helpful information on travel to the Isle of Wight, and a range of timetable, links and advice to assist you in getting around the Island once you are here.
More travel information
One of the best ways to travel to the Isle of Wight is via sea
Travel with Red Funnel from Southampton:
- 30 mins by Red Jet – foot passengers
- 1 hour via vehicle Ferry.
- Save 10% off vehicle crossings with Hampshire’s Top Attractions!
Travel with Wightlink from Portsmouth or Lymington:
- 22 minutes by FastCat – foot passengers
- 40 mins via vehicle ferry from Lymington to Yarmouth, 45 minutes from Portsmouth to Fishbourne.
Save 10% off day return travel with Hampshire’s Top Attractions!
Travel with Hovertravel from Southsea:
- 10 mins by Hovercraft from Southsea – foot passengers
- Save 20% off crossings with Hampshire’s Top Attractions!
Regular connections running from Portsmouth and Southampton.
- Travellers arriving at Portsmouth’s “The Hard” bus station are a short walk from Portsmouth Harbour Station where the Portsmouth to Ryde passenger service operates.
- You can pick up the “Hoverbus” which will drop you at the Southsea terminal of Hovertravel to catch the Isle of Wight Hovercraft to Ryde.
- If you are at Southampton Coach Station, you have a short walk to the train station, where you can pick up a free shuttle bus to your ferry connection to West or East Cowes.
- 30 mins by helicopter (from London)
- Private airports at Bembridge and Sandown