In association with the Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation, University of Portsmouth.
- Hands-on space and night sky activities
- Put your space questions to astronomers from the University of Portsmouth
- Live stargazing demonstrations from 6pm (indoor or outdoor, depending on visibility and weather)
- Full access to the Science Centre’s two floors of hands on exhibits and creative space – The Invention Studio.
Recommended optional extras:
- Live fun and interactive family shows on the science of the night sky, presented by Dr Chris Frohmaier, astrophysicist at the Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation.
Live shows by Dr Frohmaier at 11:30, 13:30, 15:30, 17:00 and 19:30. Tickets £1 per person.
- Live planetarium shows presented by Winchester Science Centre’s experienced in-house team.
Hands-on space and night sky activities
University of Portsmouth, Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation
On both Saturday 24 and Sunday 25 February and Saturday 24 and Sunday 25 March, the experts from the University of Portsmouth, Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation (ICG) will be joining us at the Science Centre to host some excellent hands-on activities and there will be an opportunity to pose your space questions to the experts. Activities to be announced shortly.
Around the Science Centre:
Have you ever wondered how we were able to navigate around the world before satellite navigation? Learn how to find the North Star and how we use it to travel the world.
Daytime programme of planetarium shows to be announced shortly!
In the Invention Studio:
Create your own planisphere
Make a planisphere and find out what stars and constellations will be in the sky at any time of the year, for example, find out what stars will be visible on your birthday.
Create a constellation
There are many constellations using the stars, but if you could make your own constellations, what would you make? Now’s your chance! Maybe even name it and make a story to go with it.
Hunt for Planet 9
We currently have eight planets in our solar system but astronomers believe there is even more out there, but they need your help to find them. There will be an opportunity to carry out a live search at the Science Centre and you can continue your search at home
Entry to the drop-in activities, hands-on exhibition area and live stargazing talks is included in General Entry, and free for Annual Pass holders.
Additional tickets are required for the live shows by Dr Chris Frohmaier (£1 per person, 10% discount for Annual Pass holders) and planetarium shows (from £2.80 per person, 10% discount for Annual Pass holders).
General entry can be booked now using the link below, show tickets will be on sale early January 2018.
Event ends 21:00 on Saturday 24 February/March and 20:30 on Sunday 25 February/March.
Winchester Science Centre