Immerse your family in dinosaur exploration this Christmas at Winchester Science Centre and meet Father Christmas!
An exciting partnership with the owners of popular children’s book series The World of Dinosaur Roar! sees their beautifully illustrated dinosaur characters brought to life through a dinosaur trail, animated short story and hands-on activity zone, designed especially for younger children. In addition, and for all ages, the Science Centre team is inviting children to take on the role of a palaeontologist at Dino Dig and Fossil Forensics, meet a dinosaur ranger and their baby triceratops and handle real and replica fossils at the mini Fossil Festival. All activities, including a dinosaur-themed live science show, are included in General Admission.
- Dino-themed Live Science Show – a fun and demo-led show delving into the world of palaeontology and geology, and exploring the impact of climate change. Show times: 10:15, 11:00, 12:30, 13:15, 14:45 and 15:30.
- Dinosaur Roar! Trail and Activity Sheet– pick up a copy at the entrance desk on arrival and enjoy finding our Dinosaur Roar! friends Flap, Munch, Whizz, Whack, Stomp, Squeak, Bash, Honk, Chew, Boo and Roar dotted about the Science Centre. See if you can match the characters to the fun facts. Other activities can be completed during your visit or at home.
- Dinosaur Roar! Animated Story– enjoy a short animated story featuring one of the Dinosaur Roar! characters, screened at regular intervals in the Tinytarium, located on the lower exhibition floor.
- Dinosaur Roar! Activity Zone– see yourself jump, flap and walk like a dinosaur in the wobbly mirrors, find out how much you really know about dinosaurs at the giant lift-the-flap wall and explore two craft-based science activity tables for fun games that help to explore different dinosaur characteristics.
- Dinosaur Roar! Giant Selfie Head!– pick up a choice of props and sit in the mouth of Roar! the Dinosaur Roar! T-Rex character and pose for your perfect Dinosaur Christmas selfie – go on, you know you want to!
- Dino Dig!– take part in a real (okay, not real) palaeontology dig to find the bones of a T-Rex. Work as a team with your fellow palaeontology pals to build its skeleton!
- Fossil Forensics!– using the resources available and your own scientific enquiry skills, examine the fossils on display and see if you can identify what they are and where they came from. Head to the Fossil Festival to see if you’re right!
- Fossil Festival!– get up close and personal with an array of fossils, many of which were discovered on the Isle of Wight, and find out all about them from our team of knowledgeable rangers.
- Christmas Planetarium Show– the centre’s team of expert presenters have added a sprinkling of Christmas starlight to the mind-blowing tour Flight Through the Universe. And, in keeping with the Dinosaur theme, they’re including a quick look at meteors and craters on the moon. Planetarium tickets are £3.50 with admission.
- Gift Shop– the Science Gift Shop will be stocking a great range of Dinosaur Roar! plush toys, books, stickers and games as well as plenty of other dinosaur, science and space gifts so a perfect place to pick up a brilliant range of stocking fillers and Christmas presents.
Santa’s Science Grotto: For those of you in search of Santa, you won’t be disappointed. Winchester Science Centre are very excited to have Santa and the elves paying them another visit this year! The science-themed grotto will provide children and their families with a 45-minute relaxed workshop with Santa and his magnificent master elf. Children will get to make their very own Christmas cracker (complete with science-gift!), meet Santa and take home a present.
Admission: £13.20 per person (with GiftAid), including all dino-themed events and activities, and live science experience. The Planetarium and Grotto tickets sold separately. Save up to 25% on general admission when booking online at least three days in advance.
Winchester Science Centre & Planetarium