Two 18th century brass chandeliers have recently been returned to their rightful homes at the East end of Winchester Cathedral.
Located in the presbytery above the High Altar and in the south transept the chandeliers date from 1756 and, according to an inscription on them, were donated by the then Dean, Thomas Cheyney. The chandeliers were moved over five years ago to facilitate works in both of these areas, from the presbytery for conservation of the leaking and damaged high vault and from the south transept for the creation of the Cathedral’s new three-level exhibition Kings and Scribes: The Birth of a Nation. These works were part of the Cathedral’s 20.5m capital projects programme and their return marks one of the final stages of that.
They will be lit for the first time since the move for St Swithuntide over 13th, 14th and 15th July.